Leg cramps also have another name, Charley horse. They are spasms that make you wake up at night and can also happen in the daytime due to workouts like cycling or running. Most of the time they are harmless and linked to self-care or discomfort while sitting let’s say. But if this turns to chronic appearance , you must visit the doctor. If the cramps wake you up in the middle of the night, you have weak muscles, numbness, swelling and pain.
This risk gets bigger with age and aging so there is no definite cause and root. Almost ever.
Some of the possible reasons might be deficit in calcium, magnesium, potassium, and some diuretic meds, pressure meds or beta blocker beds.
At times, such cramps can be linked to metabolic conditions like underactive thyroid or parathyroid. The diabetes can too put chaos in the metabolism and cause the cramps.
The leg pain cramp is different in intensity and from one to another it can last 15 seconds. To relieve this:
- Rub the muscle
- Stretch it for a spasm case
- If there is half cramp, stand up and put the weight on one leg, while the knee is mildly bent
- Put hot or cold for relief. To soothe tense muscles get ice pack and apply it there.
- Get a warm towel and apply heat on that area, or dip in shower and bath with hot water.
Even though this night cramp might surprise you, there is prevention types.
- Hydration – have lots of water and healthy liquids too. Also the muscles will contract easier and be relaxed. Replenish fluids when you lose them, in sports let’s say, and keep with the water after the activity is done.
- Stretch before bed – it is a smart move to stretch and sleep.
- Light workouts – ride stationary bike and go to sleep.
- Right shoes – opt for shoes of great quality, since they bear your weight.
- Un-tuck covers – loosen the sheets right where the legs and feet go.
If these do not help, take painkillers like Tylenol and others.
Foods to consider having:
- Sea salt
- Pumpkin seed
- Green leafy veggies
- Greek yoghurt